10 Diet Tips to Avoid Heartburn
Fortunately, reducing your chances of heartburn can be as simple as eating the right foods at the right speed. Here are 10 simple tips that you can follow to avoid heartburn, though if your heartburn problems persist, it may be time to finally look into nissen fundoplication in Albany for optimal relief from the pain and discomfort of acid reflux.
These simple tips can be a beneficial addition to your existing treatment for heartburn in Albany.
- Cut Back on Fat and Grease: Fatty and greasy foods tend to slow down digestion which results in the food staying in your stomach for a longer amount of time.
- Avoid Common Heartburn Causing Foods: Foods such as tomatoes, raw onions, garlic, chocolate, peppermint, spearmint, and citrus fruits are foods that are more likely to cause heartburn.
- Pay Attention to Vinegars: Certain vinegars are gentler than others. If you often get heartburn, cider or rice vinegars may be a smart alternative to other vinegars.
- Watch What you Drink: What you drink can contribute to heartburn. Caffeinated drinks, carbonated drinks, coffee, citrus juices, and alcoholic beverages can greatly increase the chance of heartburn.
- Don’t be Too Spicy: If you can, pay attention to what spices you’re eating and if they have an impact on your heartburn.
- Chew Well & Eat Slowly: Chewing slowly gives your stomach more time to digest foods which lowers the chance of heartburn.
- Eat Smaller Portions: The larger meals you eat, the more acid your stomach has to produce which increases the chance of acid reflux. To avoid heartburn, try eating smaller portions more often.
- Healthy Snacks: Have healthy snacks nearby; avoid chocolate and other high-fat snacks. Instead, go for vegetables and fruits.
- Don’t Eat Too Close to Bedtime: Be sure to eat your last meal at least two to three hours before hitting the sack. The additional time will give your acid levels a chance to normalize.
- Helpful Dessert: After eating, sucking on hard candy may help reduce heartburn.